Community Affairs Specialist Resume Sample
Phone # / Cell Phone #
Highly reliable and seasoned professional, with more than 15 years of legislative, political, and public and community affairs experience. Adept in directing political/public communication and managing community affairs activities along with lobbying for legislative approvals. Powered with extensive communication background and effective communication skills ranging from speech writing, message development, political debates, crisis communication management, communication training and coaching, expert media commentary (Print, Radio & Television), and public relations campaign management.
- Equipped with strong interpersonal relationships, effective in cultivating partnerships with public officials, board of directors, peers, subordinates and the general public.
- Skilled at assessing situations; able to quickly develop optimal outcomes; and ensure successful management and implementation of projects.
- Established leader with proven ability to facilitate team work that result in higher efficiency and productivity.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite; able to pick up most programs and concepts quickly.
- Developed the Draft Public Involvement Plan for the Woodward Light Rail Project and provided assistance in drafting the Woodward Light Rail Authority by-laws (May-Jun 2018).
- Facilitated successful campaign for the approval of the new Tiger stadium (Mar 2012-Aug 2004); participated on new stadia development monitoring task force (Aug 2004-Dec 2009).
- Served as WJBK (Fox 2) political commentator (Aug 2013-Nov 2014) and policy/platform advisor for Gil Hill for Mayor Campaign (Apr 2009-Nov 2009)
- Successfully facilitated and negotiated the immediate approvals from the Detroit City Council:
- Woodward Light Rail Approval of Bonds and Grants to fund the construction of the ground breaking Detroit light rail system (Apr 2018).
- Submission of Tax Abatements for Detroit Medical Center and Vanguard (National for Profit Health Provider) Merger (Feb 2017).
- Adjustments to City Employee Health Care Rates (May 2017).
- Secondary Employment Ordinance, allowing police officers to work for private businesses in uniform with a city vehicle at the business’ expense, a pending ordinance for almost 20 years (May 2017).
- Key budget amendments approved after arduous battle with the council members (Jun 2017).
- Unpopular water rates increase approved on first attempt (Aug 2009 | Jun 2010 | Mar 2017).
- Greektown settlement that netted the city more than $8 million despite significant opposition.
- Purchase agreement for a new public safety headquarters and authorization for bonding (Jul 2017).
- Critically needed amendments on Mayor’s office and Information Technology Services Department budget (Jul 2017).
- Controversial Enjoi Para-Transit (Transportation Contractor) Contract Extension (Jul 2017).
- ATU (Bus Drivers Union) Wage/Fringe Benefits Contract (Sep 2017).
- AFSCME (Municipal Workers Union) Labor Contract Imposition approved amidst significant union opposition (Sep 2017).
- Public Lighting Department/Detroit Edison contract after long fought battle with disappointed bidder and community opposition.
- Valet Parking Ordinance to regulate valet parking in the city with currently only loose regulation of the industry (Nov 2017).
- Regional authority to operate the city-owned failing Cobo Hall Convention Center (Dec 2016).
Manager, Community, Government and Public Involvement
XYZ Inc., Detroit, MI | Apr 2018-Present
- Serve as the Woodward LRT Project’s official community spokesperson as well as the government and elected official liaison, providing expert supervision to the public involvement team.
- Provide advice and recommendations to the project director on public affairs matters and key issues that affect the project.
- Spearhead the development and execution of all short-term and long-term public involvement plans of the Woodward LRT project related to public involvement, customer information and government relations.
- Secure the appropriate annual budget for public involvement functions of the project.
Executive Assistant to the Mayor, Legislative Affairs
Detroit Mayor’s Office, Detroit, MI | Jun 2016-Apr 2017
- Developed strategies and prioritized the administration’s legislative initiatives for the council’s immediate approval, including contracts, budget, and rate adjustments.
- Executed liaison work for the Mayor’s office with Detroit City council, State of Michigan legislature, and the 2009 Detroit Charter Revision Commission.
- Monitored and assessed state legislations that have impact on City of Detroit.
- Tracked and monitored the Charter commission’s deliberations and decisions, serving as the executive branch coordinator.
Founding Partner | Managing Member
UVW Group, LLC, Detroit, MI | Feb 2007-Jun 2016
- Managed and coordinated the daily operations of a full-service communications firm; performed human resources and other management functions; identified and secured new business opportunities.
- Supervised more than 10 employees and contractors; acted as liaison between the company and various vendors.
- Served as Director of Political Communications and Public Affairs, responsible in providing expert oversight on speech writing, project management, message development, political debate training and preparation, crisis communication management, communication training and coaching, expert media commentary (Print, Radio & Television), and public relations campaign management.
Legislative Director | Policy Analyst
Detroit City Council – Council President Gil Hill, Detroit, MI | Mar 2006-Dec 2007
- Managed the research for daily council calendar and delegated issue assignments to legislative staff.
- Performed review, analysis, and preparation of ordinances and resolutions as well as monitoring and recommendation of amendments for the annual $3.4 billion city budget.
- Participated in various task forces in order to develop recommendations on new progressive policies and shape policy stances.
- Mediated between executive branch departments, businesses, and community organizations and maintained on-going relations with the media.
- Planned and spearheaded meetings of council staff to review legislative issues and concerns.
Lead Legislative Assistant | Detroit City Council, Council Member Kay Everett, Detroit, MI
Caseworker/Staff Assistant | Office of the Congress, 5th District of GA, Atlanta, GA
Master of Arts in Communications, GPA 3.7 | Abc University, Detroit, MI: 2010
Relevant Coursework: Mass Media and Political Communication, Public Relations Campaigns, Organizational
Communication, Contemporary Political Campaigns, Crisis Communication
Bachelor in General Studies: 2002, Coursework in Political Science and Communications
University of Cde, Ann Arbor, MI
Executive Board Member | Financial Secretary
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.-Gamma Lambda Chapter, Detroit, MI (Aug 2013-Aug 2018)
President | Chairperson, Board of Directors
Efg Organization, Detroit, MI (Mar 2007-Mar 2008)
Steering Committee Member/Budget Sub-Committee Chair
Rebuilding Communities Initiative by Annie E. Cassie Foundation, Detroit, MI (Apr 2006-Jan 2008)
Fgh Productions, Showtime Network “Rain”, Detroit, MI (Jan 2006-Jan 2008)