Design Director Resume Sample
Phone # / Cell Phone #
Focus of Interest: Women’s Denim and Casual Sportswear
Accomplished, goal oriented Design Director with extensive background in denim and casual sportswear product development, trend direction and management. Experienced in branded and private label women’s contemporary, junior, missy and children’s wear product categories.
- Proven ability in developing and adapting design direction to changing market conditions.
- Consistent track record of meeting and exceeding sales goals.
- Unyielding entrepreneurial skills – successfully developed new divisions; identified new businesses with growth opportunities.
- Unparalleled work ethic – excel in setting goals and requirements for development of innovative product while maintaining high gross margins – resulting in impressive year end profits.
- Extensive travel throughout Europe, Asia and the U.S. for trend research.
- Vast experience interfacing with buyers, merchandisers and DMM’s on major programs resulting in expanded business growth.
- Demonstrate exceptional capability to hire talented individuals, manage and lead teams toward the achievement of common shared goals.
COMPANY ABC, LOS ANGELES, CA
PRESIDENT / CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, WWW.DENIMHEAD.COM | SEP 2013-APR 2018
Founded and directed the business operation of an internationally recognized denim and casual sportswear trend forecasting service. Hired, trained and managed a group of talented individuals that greatly contributed to the company’s overall success; coordinated functions and delegated tasks according to their level of expertise to meet expected crucial completion dates.
- Established business from ground-up by publishing, directing and executing publications which reported retails trends from Europe, Asia and the US.
- Expanded the collection of retail publications in 2006 with the creation of a forecast book called, “Behind the Seams” which outlined important silhouette, fabric, wash and detail direction for the coming seasons.
- Spearheaded the strategic launch of an internet-based photo achieve (Denimhead.com) in 2008 which classified and categorized hundreds of thousands of garment photos dating back to 1998.
- Developed and integrated a magazine section to the website in 2009 which housed articles and information on wash developments, fabrications, trade shows, runway trend direction, trend reports and street/vintage inspiration.
- Sold the company and its property rights to WGSN in January 2011.
COMPANY CDE, LOS ANGELES, CA
DESIGN DIRECTOR, PRIVATE LABEL | NOV 2011-SEP 2013
Created a wide array of denim and casual sportswear collections for a variety of retailers -Target, Kohls, Sears, JC Penney, DKNY, Guess, Chico’s and White House Black Market
- Provided strategic leadership and direction to business operations during its initial start-up in 2003.
- Worked in conjunction with product managers, buyers and DMM’s of key accounts to create advanced private label denim and casual sportswear programs from concept through final fit.
- Partnered with the Hong Kong office counterpart in establishing a systematic workflow that centralized the existing sampling process.
- Attained projected goal of $15M in sales in 2005.
FGH DESIGN GROUP, DBA: BELLA DAHL, TARZANA, CA
WOVEN BOTTOMS DESIGNER, BELLA DAHL | MAR 2010-OCT 2011
Demonstrated strong design and wash treatment execution which elevated the existing contemporary brand to the next level. Worked closely with local washhouses to create new, innovative washes. Proactively managed the sample room to ensure timely execution of sample lines for market dates.
- Designed product for the Oct 02 and Mar 03 Coterie Shows, resulting in the most profitable shows in the company’s history.
- Based on product development, company reached record sales volume of $1M per month – 40% increase from the prior year.
COMPANY IJK / FRITZI DIVISION, CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA
DENIM DESIGN DIRECTOR, JOLT DIVISION | SEP 2008- MAR 2010
Hired to start a new children’s denim division targeted for department stores and large chain stores. Contributed to the development of the “Jolt” brand by creating the logo and marketing package. Worked with the company President and sales team to identify and establish the brand’s niche in the market. Designed on-trend denim and woven bottoms on a
monthly basis for the tween market. Traveled to Europe twice a year to direct trends through design presentations. Regularly communicated with the production patternmaker to ensure proper fit.
- Surpassed company’s first year sales projection of $5M by an additional $2M.
- Product shipped to Macy’s East in August 2002 sold 23% in the first four days on the floor
- Consistently met company’s margin goals
COMPANY LMN, LOS ANGELES, CA
HEAD DESIGNER, EXPRESS/LANE BRYANT, PRIVATE LABEL | DEC 2001-JAN 2007
Leveraged creativity and resourcefulness in the design of private label product for specialty store retailers Express and Lane Bryant. Communicated daily with overseas office to facilitate flawless product development. Traveled to Hong Kong twice a year to develop new products and to meet with buyers and DMM’s. Gleaned new trend/style/color concepts from semi-annual European trips.
- Instrumental for the development of the highly successful “Venezia” brand for Lane Bryant from inception in 2002 through 2006- when volume reached $68M.
- Recognized as the principal woven shirt vendor for Lane Bryant in 2004, with a profit margin of 70%.
- Received an additional challenging task from the management in 2003 to produce similar results for the junior contemporary Express chain.
- Designed and merchandised two extensive sportswear collections for Express resulting in first year sales reaching $15.6M.
- Significantly grew the Express account in 2006 by creating two key jeans that produced $45M in sales.
COMPANY OPQ, NEW YORK, NY
DESIGN DIRECTOR, PALMETO DIVISION | MAY 2007-SEP 2008
COMPANY RST, LOS ANGELES, CA
DESIGNER, LISA DEANE DIVISION | JAN 2000-SEP 2001
FASHION INSTITUTE OF DESIGN AND MERCHANDISING (FIDM), LOS ANGELES, CA
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Jay Ko Award, “Most Creative and Innovative”
- Alex Roldan Award, “Originality and Creativity”
- Debut Award “Most Original and Creative”
- Young International Designers Award