Media Relations Director Resume Sample
Phone # / Cell Phone #
Creative, enthusiastic, and highly accomplished professional, with broad-based experience and proven track record of success in all aspects of media and public relations, regulatory compliance, and government affairs. Equipped with extensive background in facilitating public education and awareness as well as in supervising volunteer participation. Strategic thinker and effective communicator/spokesperson, with competency in developing and maintaining social engagement and communication strategies.
- Accustomed to coordinating and monitoring the planning and evaluation of program initiatives, with the ability to conduct educational workshops on various programs for non-profit organizations.
- Possess uncompromised commitment in delivering exceptional service balanced by the highest degree of integrity in all relationships and transactions.
- Known as a well-respected and active community leader with strong writing and listening skills, including ability to create special presentation and engage in effective written and oral advocacy.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Media Campaigns and Promotions
- Press Release and Public Relations
- Fund Raising and Special Event Planning
- Education Policies Development
- Communication and Coordination
- Leadership, Training, and Team Collaborations
- Key Alliance and Partnership
CAMPAIGN COORDINATOR, 2017-2018
Wxy Company | Forest Knolls, CA
- Informed and educated the public regarding mercury in seafood through successful year-long media campaign through print, television, and radio broadcasting as well as online media in national and state outlets; created an investigative broadcast news report that earned the 2011 Emmy Award for medical reporting.
- Served as lead representative of the abcd.org project at public events and the California State Legislature.
- Initiated and coordinated the development and presentation of mercury in seafood education and outreach for the media, policy makers, and the community.
- Expertly administered all facets of media relations, which included creation and distribution of press releases, media proposals, and social media messaging.
- Provided keen oversight in managing and overseeing the state, local, and federal mercury in seafood and environment legislation.
- Composed and published scientific reports on contaminant testing of seafood.
GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS DIRECTOR/COMMUNITY HEALTH EDUCATOR, 2016-2017
Abc Institute | Reno, NV
- Spearheaded the design, creation, and deployment of strategic messaging for media and policymakers.
- Proactively participated at public events and the Nevada State Legislature to represent the Nevada Cancer Institute.
- Employed relationship-building skills in promoting, teaching, and developing cancer prevention curriculum to youth in public and private schools.
- Closely led and supervised the Government Affairs staff, while conducting teaching lessons on sun safety and skin care prevention to youth.
MEDIA RELATIONS MANAGER, 2015
Def Company | San Francisco, CA
- Played an integral role in the successful media campaign for the AIDS/LifeCycle event and the AIDS Walk, resulting in the establishment of national and state-wide press. Utilized all forms of media, including print, online, television, and radio broadcasting, in managing and directing the external communications for the foundation.
- Rendered assistance with media relations and messaging-related activities, planning, facilitating, and implementing volunteer and staff trainings.
GOVERNMENT RELATIONS DIRECTOR, 2010-2015
Ghi Company | Reno, NV
- Effectively lobbied and represented the American Cancer Society at the Nevada State Legislature and the Nevada United States Congressional delegation.
- Served as key innovator in the creation and completion of the “Nevadans for Tobacco Free Kids” state ballot initiative campaign by successfully passing and authorizing 23 new state laws, supporting cancer prevention, detection, and research; promoted smoking ban in most public places across Nevada.
- Regarded as the driving force in generating funds for the “Nevadans for Tobacco Free Kids” ballot initiative campaign, including more than $500K project funds; acted as state-wide media spokesperson.
- Displayed unsurpassed leadership and guidance in supervising two staff members and numerous advocacy volunteers.
- Instantly recognized as key representative of the American Cancer Society at national and state public events.
VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR (PAID CONTRACT POSITION), 2007-2013
Jkl Comany | Reno, NV
- Determined staffing requirements; hired, scheduled, trained, and supervised more than 200 volunteers to staff a nationally well-known, two-day major music festival held each spring at the University of Nevada, Reno.
POLITICAL CONSULTANT, 2002-2010
Self-Employed | Reno, NV
- Leveraged management and leadership distinction in coordinating and directing two state governor races, six state legislative races, and two city council races.
- Applied multifaceted approaches in performing overall campaign management operations involving communications, fundraising, special events, as well as volunteer recruitment and supervision.
- Successfully designed, created, and implemented media programs using all forms of media, such as print, broadcast, and online.
Bachelor of Arts in Art History
University of LMN | Reno, NV
AWARDS AND HONORS
Chair of Nevada Pain Management Committee, 2013
Nevada State Cervical Cancer Task Force, 2016 (Appointed by the Governor)
Chair of Nevada State Ballot Argument Committee, 2014 (Appointed by the Secretary of State)
Nevada State Council of Physical Fitness and Nutrition, 2012-2014 (Appointed by the Governor)
Volunteer Driver for Injured Wildlife, WildCare, 2018-Present
Event Volunteer, San Francisco AIDS Foundation, 2015-Present
Team Captain, Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, 2015-2017
Mac and PC Platforms and Microsoft Office Suite: PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
Social Networking Sites