Merchandiser Resume Sample
Phone # / Cell Phone #
Astute, tenacious, and accomplished professional, with comprehensive years of experience and proven track record of success in overall aspects of retail management. Equipped with extensive background in sales operations and maintenance, coupled with proven adeptness in propelling the marketability of stores. Possess exceptional skills in taking charge of store presentation and displays, complemented with the ability to meet all corporate directives on time. Armed with metric-driven decision-making capabilities that successfully penetrate new markets, capture market share, and accelerate revenue growth. Well-versed in providing hands-on leadership in motivating, training, and coaching employees to meet high performance standards. Powered with strategic planning and operations management skills, combined with capabilities to identify organizational requirements and develop practical solutions toward attainment of goals and objectives.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Revenue Growth and Profit Retention
- Store Operations and Maintenance
- Cost Control and Budget Implementation
- Merchandising and Promotions
- Process and Productivity Improvement
- Regulatory Compliance and Standards
- Time Management and Prioritization
- Communication and Coordination
- Regarded as the driving force in achieving and surpassing corporate budget plan, leading to receiving numerous incentives.
- Drove the attainment of business profitability by generating the lowest payroll percentage in all Maxway divisions in 2008.
- Played a key role in the successful augmentation of net profit by $1.2M in 2009, which was considered as one of the best years in company history.
- Maximized gross margin by leading all company initiatives intended to produce sales, control payroll, and increase net profit.
- Proficiently organized, coordinated, and executed the overall operations of three retail stores; earned distinction and fast-track promotion to district manager at the age of 25; distinguished as the youngest district manager in the chain history.
- Contributed in obtaining the Most Improved Store Operation Award for efficiency in planning, forecasting, goal-setting, team building, and implementing initiatives that prompted the achievement of operational proficiency and overall productivity.
- Led efforts in reducing shrinkage from 5% to 1% while successfully increasing sales by 35% and profits by 50%.
- Executed the instigation and establishment of the first 188,000-square-foot supercenter store in South Carolina with $55M annual sales, enabling the store be acknowledged as one of the highest volume stores district-wide.
BUSINESS PROFITABILITY AND GROWTH
- Reviewed merchandise plans by coordinating monthly meetings with buyer at home office; increased sales and company profit through appropriate placement of aggressive order for key items.
- Directed and coordinated business operations of the highest net profit region for last the five years.
- Closely supervised and monitored 7 district managers and 75 stores within 5 states, with annual sales of $100M.
STORE MANAGEMENT AND OPERATIONS
- Meticulously evaluated markdowns and facilitated training on proper presentation across all stores, prioritizing stores with weak sales and weak store managers. .
- Leveraged superior management capacities in directing two stores in Carolina Beach and Hilton Head which included participation in various beach shows to order new products; developed a Carolina Beach market profile to help the store in ordering appropriate goods from vendors.
- Conducted store visits in all areas to evaluate stores’ P&L reports as well as to identify store with high shrinkage.
- Held full accountability in developing merchandising initiatives for stores, administering payroll and shrinkage control, and organizing employee training.
- Recommended strong management practices during weekly shrinkage meeting with high shrink stores.
- Applied multifaceted approaches in budgeting sales, preparing payroll for each store, and in hiring store manager and district manager.
- Conceptualized and adopted innovative ideas in designing new layouts for ends and department on a weekly basis.
- Managed the establishment and maintenance of all seasonal areas in store; assumed responsibility in processing all freights.
STANDARD REGULATIONS AND IMPLEMENTATION
- Provided keen oversight in assessing store stock, creating planogram, as well as analyzing end and tables to monitor fulfillment of monthly sale plans.
- Assumed full responsibility in administering the store’s overall standards, presentation, sale planner, and execution of corporate directive.
- Ensured compliance of overall operations, merchandise presentation, cleanliness, stockroom, and softline presentation with store standards,
LEADERSHIP AND TEAM COLLABORATION
- Served as primary point of contact in addressing and resolving complex issues and concerns within the store.
- Developed productive relationships with the District Manager through constant communication and store visitation in order to update them on all new memos from corporate/management.
- Coordinated the development and strategic execution of daily work plan for all employees; handled the creation of employee schedule while maintaining the payroll within budget.
Hij Company | Aiken, SC
Maxway | 1974-2000; 2000-2010
REGIONAL VICE PRESIDENT/MANAGER | City, State: 2000-2010
DISTRICT MANAGER | City, State: 1980-1989
STORE MANAGER | City, State: 1974-1980
Wal-Mart | City, State
STORE DIRECTOR/CO-MANAGER: 1989-2000
- Dale Carnegie Course
- Leadership Course, USC
AWARDS AND HONORS
- National Honor Society
- Most Improved Store Operation, Maxway
- Usher, Cedare Creek Church
- Member, Shag Club
- Member, Coke Cola Club
- Microsoft Office Suite: Excel, Word, and Outlook