Patron Division Commander Resume Sample
Phone # / Cell Phone #
Highly committed, dedicated, and tenacious professional, offering extensive years of troop leadership and management experience within the law enforcement arena. Expert at streamlining processes and at combatting unlawful activities. Knowledgeable in drafting numerous departmental policies in the areas of sexual harassment, use of force, and handcuffing policies. Competent at addressing complex issues to effect dramatic improvements in efficiency, service, and leadership toward successful attainment of mid-sized law enforcement organizational goals. Well-versed in leading and training highly skilled, cross-functional and dynamic team members while maintaining high ethical and quality standards, professional demeanor, and cooperative attitude. Excellent analytical problem solver armed with effective communication skills.
- Law Enforcement Principle
- Investigative Techniques
- Security Industry Standards
- Conflict and Problem Resolution
- Programs Development
- Supervision and Training
- Liaison / Intelligence Sources
- Police Instruction
- Evidence Collection
- Technical Surveillance
Master of Administrative Science │ GPA 3.8
ABC University | Teaneck, NJ: 2008
Bachelor of Arts in Individual Studies, Specialization in Criminal Justice │ GPA 4.0 │ Academic Honor’s List
ABC University | Teaneck, NJ: 2007
Graduate Certificate in Administrative Science: Public, Private, Not for Profit Management and Leadership
Graduate Certificate in Administrative Science: Law and Public Safety Administration
ABC University | Teaneck, NJ: 2007
West Point Command and Leadership Course
Police Training Center | Egg Harbor Township, NJ: 2008
Associate of Science in Criminal Justice
DEFG College | Vineland, NJ: 1990
Gang Threat Assessment Model Development
- Commissioned to develop a threat assessment to combat ongoing gang activity in the City of Vineland in April 2009.
- Led the team in charge of writing and implementing the policy and enforcement program against gang activity.
- Integrated four strategies into the program, including identification, intelligence, and information sharing of gang members; direction of law enforcement actions; intervention, referrals of at risk juveniles, and school partnerships; and graffiti removal policy.
- Submitted and presented strategies to the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office and Cumberland County Prosecutors Office during state level law enforcement meetings, which were still being used to this day by the agency.
Vineland Board of Education Involvement
- Proactively participated as an elected member of the board in 2007, and assumed responsibilities in controlling and allocating $190M budget to the school district with 10,000 students and over 2,000 employees.
- Spearheaded the policy development and enforcement as well as personnel hiring activities within the school district; determined and addressed any union grievances throughout bargaining units as the chairman of the Policy and Personnel Committee.
City of Vineland Police Department | Vineland, NJ
Patrol Division Commander | Jul 2010-Present
Police Captain | Apr 1982-Present
Assume full responsibility in the daily operations of the patrol, traffic, street crimes unit, and 9-1-1 communications center. Directly supervise 113 sworn patrol officers, in addition to 4 lieutenants and 15 sergeants. Maintain, preserve, and ensure that police services are provided to the public in an efficient and effective manner. Arrange the master schedule and prepare and submit reports to the Chief of Police as necessary. Provide oversight to crime analysis and budget development.
- Achieved the Police Captain ranking assuming command of the entire Patrol Division.
- Ensured that departmental goals and objectives as well as rules and regulations were met and followed.
- Satisfactorily resolved any problem or complaint regarding any officer under the supervision through open communication and interaction with the citizens.
Detective Lieutenant (OIC) | Jun 2004-Jul 2010
Effectively delivered services as the officer-in-charge for the Detective Bureau, Narcotics Unit, Juvenile School Safety Unit, Crime Scene Unit and Crime Prevention Office. Carried out a wide array of duties, including supervision of major crimes and narcotics investigations, establishment of goals and objectives, preparation of budget and reports, and supervision and evaluation of employees. Conducted regular meetings with citizens to discuss any problem or complaint occurrences.
- Organized and coordinated criminal investigations with other units within the department and outside agencies, including the New Jersey State Police, FBI, Drug Enforcement Administration, Secret Service, and the United States Marshals.
Special Response Team Coordinator / Commander | Jun 2000-Jul 2006
Rendered assistance in the development of a plan for the Special Response Team to produce a group of highly trained officers to respond to critical incidents, such as hostage situations, barricaded suspects, sniper situations, high-risk arrests, and high-risk warrant service. Extended full support in the directive, including a mission statement, the composition and structure of the team, the command and control structure, the activation process, the personnel selection process, training standards, and the selection and procurement of equipment. Supervised assignments, prepared the budget, ensured observance and adherence of department policy, and maintained the training and performance standards.
- Administered the Special Response Team; facilitated specialized training in tactics and firearms for the unit of 20 officers.
- Provided formal critique of the team’s performance after each operations and completion of each assignment.
- Created and developed realistic training scenarios to test the team’s readiness; joined in the planning, execution, and review of a large-scale “terrorist / hostage” drill, which involved the Vineland Police Department, Vineland Fire Department, Vineland Board of Education, Vineland Emergency Medical Service, New Jersey State Police, and the Cumberland County Office of Emergency Management.
- Promoted to commander of the Special Response Team in 2004 due to outstanding performance.
Training Unit Sergeant | Jan 1995-May 2004
Carried out numerous training seminars for police administrators as a certified police instructor. Functioned as lead training coordinator for the Vineland Police Academy, providing basic training to law enforcement officers countywide. Actively joined and rolled out trainings or in-service trainings for hundreds of police officers throughout the stay in the training unit. Responsibly planned and supervised the police department’s role in special events, such as parades, festivals, and sporting events. Skillfully prepared the department’s equipment and uniform budget, and handled the bidding process and purchasing of both uniforms and equipment, while serving in the training unit. Attended court hearings and testified in both criminal and civil cases.
- Instrumental for training unit’s achievement of the recognition as one of the best in the state in providing the most intensive in-service training to any police department in New Jersey, with each officer (145) receiving over 121 hours of training .
- Actively engaged in the Accident Review Committee, assessing all traffic accidents involving police vehicles for the purpose of determining fault as well as to evaluate the adequacy of vehicle operation training given to police officers.
- Analyzed and reviewed all Police Pursuit and Use of Force Reports to ensure officers’ proper observance of the conduct of procedure, and to identify any training needs or policy inadequacies.
- Successfully drafted numerous departmental policies, including sexual harassment, use of force, and handcuffing policies.
- Verified compliance with OSHA and PEOSH codes and requirements for the entire department.
- Closely worked with the Health and Safety representatives from the city administration on issues related to blood-borne pathogens, confined spaces, right to know, and risk management issues.
City of Vineland Police Department ▪ Vineland, NJ
Computer Network Administrator | Jan 1991–Dec 1995
Police Detective | Jul 1989–Dec 1991
Patrol Officer | Apr 1982–Jun 1989
DEFG College ▪ Vineland, NJ
Adjunct Faculty Member | Sep 2008–Present
Certified Firearms Range Master (2000) | Certified Police Instructor (1995)
New Jersey Police Training Commission
New Jersey Division of Criminal Justice
Search and Seizure of Computers | Methods of Instruction | Emergency Vehicle Operations Instructor
Motorola Training Division
Administration of 800 MHZ Radio Systems
9-1-1 Telecommunications Instructor
Federal Bureau of Investigations
Advanced Criminal Investigations | Firearms Instructor Course
Drug Enforcement Agency
Advanced Narcotic Investigations
New Jersey Police
Basic Narcotic Investigations | Breathalyzer Operations | Driving While Intoxicated Detection | Terminal Agency Coordinator
Salem Prosecutors Office
Heckler & Koch Training Division
Sub-Machine Instructors Course
Glock Pistol Armorer Course
Remington Shotgun Armorer Course
International Association of Chiefs of Police
Basic and Advanced SWAT Operations | Management of SWAT Teams
Gloucester County Police Academy
Shotgun Instructors Course | Search and Seizure Law | Criminal Law
Federal and Armored Holdings, Inc.
Chemical Agents Instructors Course
New Jersey State Safety Council
Defensive Driving Instructor
PHI Investigative Consultants
Practical Homicide Investigation Course
Russell Ruffin Seminars
Public Safety Media Training
New Jersey Chiefs of Police Association
Law Enforcement Leadership Seminar
Middle-Atlantic-Great Lakes Organized
Major Crimes Investigations
Crime Law Enforcement Network
Combating School and Community Violence
Vineland Policy Prevention Board, Rutgers / Walter Rand Institute: 2011
Re-elected Board Member and Voted Board Vice President, Vineland Public Schools: 2010
Elected Board of Education Member, Vineland Public Schools: 2007
Gang Prevention Workgroup, Cumberland County Prosecutors Office: 2007
Community Affairs Committee, Vineland Chamber of Commerce: 2004
Special Response Team Commander (SWAT), Vineland Police Department: 2004
Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, Cumberland County College: 1990
Microsoft Office 2010 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook)