Technical Writer Resume Sample
Phone # / Cell Phone #
Quality-focused, versatile, and dedicated professional, with solid technical writing and copyediting experience on a variety of subjects, including IP telephony, video, IP networking software administration and hardware setup, CLI, user interface, and online help. Demonstrate remarkable ability to grasp technical concepts quickly and verify completeness, accuracy, and quality of documents. Recognized for producing consistently clear and coherent documents within stringent deadlines. Powered with well-honed conceptualization, communication, and listening skills, along with a keen eye for detail. Equipped with strong multitasking, interpersonal, and teamwork aptitude; able to prioritize and complete tasks in a fiercely competitive, challenging, and fast-paced environment.
Writing and Editing: Clearly and concisely write, edit, and maintain high-quality publications, solution documents, product release and application notes, reference guides and instructions. Adept at refining complex information into clear, easy to follow multi-chapter books and support documents for system administrators and end users. Experienced in editing, converting, and publishing networking and wireless access solutions documents. Conduct peer-editing, copy editing, and proofreading for proper grammar, content, and structure of customer documentation.
Usability and Testing: Skilled at performing fact checking and validation of documents, ensuring that products work the way they are intended to work by configuring and testing administration/end-user interface of products and procedures before preparing documentation.
Technical and Tools Skills: Equipped with specific knowledge tools, including Adobe FrameMaker, Acrobat Distiller/PDF, Captivate, WebWorks Online Help Publishing Tool, Tortoise SVN, Document WebPublisher (Document Storage/HTML publishing), SnagIt, MS Word, and MS Excel. Possess technical knowledge in terminologies used in the information technology industry.
Interviewing and Listening: Effective in collaborating with various personalities and individuals of diverse backgrounds, including project managers, engineers, customer support engineers, project teams, and user experience teams to improve document accuracy and increase customer satisfaction.
TECHNICAL WRITER | Cisco Systems Inc., City, State
- Successfully reduced inquiries to Customer Support Department by coming up with exceptionally clear, easy to follow steps and support information for customers.
- Facilitated easy access and identification of useful information for Cisco customers online by streamlining documentation texts, reducing redundancy, and removing unnecessary elements in the website as well as setting up hotlinks, roadmaps, and feature solutions to better assist customers.
- Ensured flawless software codes in the product itself by developing clear system log messages and other user/administration interface fields and text in the product in collaboration with developers; reduced typos, meaningless, misleading, or unhelpful texts before the information is added to the software code.
- Contributed to the improvement of existing products by using and testing Cisco TelePresence products using support documentation as a guide, and providing feedback or recommendations to the writer or developer.
Wrote, tested, and published product release and general information notes (compatibility information, documentation roadmap, licensing information, and release notes), application notes for troubleshooting (error and system messages, troubleshooting guides), network configuration documentation of concepts and procedures (configuration guide, step by step instruction, and feature guides), reference guides (command reference), installation and upgrade information/instructions, and maintenance and operation (end-user guide) for the following projects:
- Cisco TelePresence/Emerging Technologies Group
- Cisco Unified Communications Manager Software and IP Phones
- Cisco WebEx/Online Meeting Collaboration Solution
- Cisco Small Business
- Cisco IOS Software
Technical Writer | Xyz Company, Santa Clara, CA
Bachelor of Arts in Radio, Television, and Film
Minor in Professional and Technical Writing
STUV University, San Jose, CA
WebEx Conferencing Basics * Project Management Skills for Non-Project Managers
EngEd Using CDETS for Software * XMART Basics
Cisco TelePresence, Cisco Club * STC Silicon Valley Chapter
Writing for Translation * Mobile User Experience