Mental Health Counselor Resume Sample
Phone # / Cell Phone #
Highly motivated, compassionate, and dedicated professional equipped with broad-based years of experience in counseling, social work, and psychotherapy. Show exemplary case management skills and keen expertise in diagnosis and treatment of emotional disturbances, and mental health disorders. Accustomed to working with multidisciplinary teams and other health professionals, including social workers, psychologists, therapists, and student interns. Known for proficiency and strict adherence to professional protocols, social work values, and federal / state regulations. Enjoy challenges with proven ability to multitask in a fiercely competitive and fast-paced environment.
- Psychosocial Evaluations
- Outstanding Client Care and Relations
- Behavior Modification Programs
- Crisis Intervention and Cast Management
- Strategic Action Plans Development and Implementation
- Superior Interpersonal and Rapport Building Skills
- Leadership, Training, and Team Building
- Time Management and Prioritization
- Problem Resolution and Decision Making
- Articulate Oral and Written Communication
- Earned distinction for implementing Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) techniques to de-escalate and/or contain assaultive clients.
- Established specialization in the treatment of sexual addiction to individuals and their spouses that encompass pornography, affairs, and co-addictive behaviors.
- Conceptualized and enforced program enhancements to improve the quality and delivery of services to clients.
- Initiated the development of curriculum and instructed Anger Management course to court-ordered domestic violence defenders.
- Honored and received the “Achievement of the Month” award for April 2007 through demonstration of exemplary performance in helping a client resolve major placement hurdles hindering timely discharge.
SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE
CASE MANAGEMENT AND SUPPORT SERVICES
- Participated in multidisciplinary team meeting to go over existing cases and new cases.
- Conducted rounds to interview patients and meet with outside resources or family members.
- Expertly managed clients’ case for treatment coordination and/or discharge.
- Performed assessments to screen clients targeting anxiety, depression, sexual compulsivity, and PTSD along with presentation in therapy sessions.
- Utilized a life history questionnaire to gather background information.
- Fulfilled a lead role as senior case manager coordinating services with the psychiatrist and other professionals to assist clients in attaining a maximum functional level.
- Evaluated family and client needs; implemented treatment plans to meet those needs; independently followed prescribed clinical casework procedures and reacted thoughtfully during crisis situations.
INDIVIDUAL COUNSELING AND THERAPY
- Expertly managed individual, family, group, adult, child, and adolescent counseling or psychotherapy in clinical, non-profit and acute hospital settings; provided outpatient / day treatment as necessary.
- Regularly interfaced with patients presenting wide range of conditions, including drug / alcohol abuse, physical and mental abuse, family issues, behavior disorders, and severe, persistent mental illnesses.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
- Trained group home supervisors and line staff to develop their competencies in chemical dependency, relapse prevention, counter-transference, emotional management, sexual deviancy, client supervision skills, and patient rights.
- Organized workshops to develop foster parents’ therapeutic intervention skills for their foster children.
- Coordinated care with pharmacists, psychologists, psychiatric nurses, mental health workers, psychiatrists, discharge planners, and administrators while providing guidance to psychiatric students, interns, and residents.
OUTSTANDING PUBLIC RELATIONS AND RAPPORT BUILDING
- Established and cultivated effective working relationships with mentally or emotionally disabled persons and their families.
- Recognized by colleagues and supervisors for ability to create success where others have failed when bridging cultural barriers such as language differences.
- Demonstrated proven ability to create rapport with patients in active psychosis.
PRIVATE PRACTITIONER, ABC Counseling Associates, Elk Grove, CA | 2017-Present
SENIOR MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELOR, CDE County Mental Health Treatment Center, Sacramento, CA | 2014-2017
THERAPIST, FGH Family Agency, Sacramento, CA | 2011-2014
THERAPIST / CASE MANAGER, IJK Group Homes, Sacramento, CA | 2008-2011
DEPUTY ADMINISTRATOR, LMN Family Agency, Sacramento, CA | 2006-2008
CASE MANAGER, Caminar, Fairfield, CA | 2005-2006
SOCIAL WORKER, Environmental Alternatives FFA, Susanville, CA | 2004-2005
MFT TRAINEE, Positive Options Family Service, Sacramento, CA | 2003-2004
ADDICTION COUNSELOR, The Effort, Sacramento, CA | 2002-2004
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT, CSUS Community Counseling Center, Sacramento, CA | 2002-2003
RESIDENTIAL COUNSELOR, IJK Group Homes, Sacramento, CA | 2001-2002
HOUSE DIRECTOR, River Oak Center For Children, Sacramento, CA | 1998-2001
MASTER OF SCIENCE (MS) IN COUNSELING, Major in Marriage, Family Child Counselor (MFCC)
OPQ University-Sacramento, Sacramento, CA: 2003
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
BACHELOR OF ARTS (BA) IN PSYCHOLOGY
OPQ University-Sacramento, Sacramento, CA: 1999
ASSOCIATE OF ARTS (AA) IN BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE
RST City College, San Jose, CA: 1995
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSURES
Certification in the Genesis Process: In Process
California Board of Behavioral Science Examiners, #MFC 39992
Certified Trainer in Parent Resources for Information, Development and Education (PRIDE)
Member, The Society for the Advancement of Sexual Health (SASH)
Member, California Association of Marriage Family Therapist