Professional Writer Resume Sample
Phone # / Cell Phone #
Highly accomplished and diligent writer, with comprehensive experience and visible achievements in designing and authoring documentation for end-user materials, internal processes, and training for internal and external users. Equipped with extensive background in software and hardware projects from early concept specification stages to product support. Technically proficient in RoboHelp as the primary delivery system, with Camtasia and Snagit as contributors; and Microsoft Word and Adobe InDesign as additional deliverables. Well-versed in developing information on various formats for diverse audiences, with the ability to create application and webhelp. Skilled in the integration of multimedia and graphic elements into RoboHelp projects to content and usability.
- Armed with proven track record of success in generating multiple products, including online help (RoboHelp), software, system applications, installation and user guides, integration guides, message specifications, release notes, technical bulletins, report portfolios, reference materials, business and departmental processes, newsletters and brochures, high-level training materials, and web tutorials or demonstrations.
- Expert in establishing rapport with subject matter experts, designers, engineers, end users, and various individuals, resulting in timely and accurate project completion.
- Proficient at Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop and InDesign, Snagit, RoboHelp, Corel PHOTO-PAINT, Camtasia, Captivate, and Microsoft Office Suite including PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Visio.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Technical Manuals and Web Help Products Maintenance
- Technical Writing and Design
- Innovative Strategies and Techniques
- End-User Support
- Project Document Conversion and Completion
- Program and Training Development
ABC COMPANY | LITTLETON, CO
Technical Writer, 2008-Present
- Write and ensure maintenance of application help and regulation/form-specific information for software that provides services to large and small corporations in managing employee compensation and benefit plans.
- Review and analyze IRS, Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC), Department of Labor (DOL), and Social Security Administration (SSA) websites for information on changes to rules, forms, and instructions affecting the company software.
- Apply technical expertise in identifying and troubleshooting “bugs” assigned by Quality Assurance; along with utilizing Agile development in facilitating daily scrum meetings.
- Gather new information and bugs in help system and perform application help and IRS instructions for five desktop applications as well as one web-based application.
- Modify and implement software changes for next release (graphics and instructions), and convert UGs with video instructions or new topic-writing techniques.
- Collaborate closely with software developers, technical support staff, and testers to ensure accurate information and timely problem resolution.
- Demonstrate proficiency in conducting video tutorials to more complicated topics and new features, integrating expanding hot spots for advanced users as well as beginners, while designing interactive graphics to encourage users on different learning styles.
- Gained extensive knowledge in using five complicated financial service software applications, and developed expertise in and-outs of IRS, PBGC, DOL and SSA forms, instructions, regulations, and practices.
- Spearheaded conversion of all existing documentation from RoboHelp 3 to RoboHelp 8, along with the incorporation of video, hot spots, graphics, and single-sourcing; and led the implementation of single-sourcing while eliminating duplication of effort problem, resulting in accurate documents required for each project.
CDE COMPANY, INC. | LAKEWOOD, CO
Technical Writer, 2007
- Performed troubleshooting on hardware and software problems through implementation of daily testing routine.
- Effectively liaised between the company and government representatives to clarify requirements and testing schedules; while functioning as supervisor for two interns responsible for documentation.
- Served as company lead representative with the government test team; led and facilitated daily status meetings and coordinated the defect resolutions process with the Operations Manager.
- Exemplified versatility and multitasking skills in performing diverse tasks, such as conducting system testing; attending meetings (spiral development process); and drafting test procedures, operations manual, monthly reports, trainer facilities reports, training materials, and presentations for weekly status meeting with government representatives.
- Successfully contributed in enabling the company obtain ISO 9000 certification; played a key role in completing certification audit and ISO lead auditor training, as well as in developing and implementing ISO policies and practices.
- Displayed unsurpassed leadership and guidance in conducting “train-the-trainer” sessions with military personnel to further hone their skills and knowledge in simulator maintenance and operation.
DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE | City, State
Program Manager and Technical Writer, 2001-2002
- Designed motor vehicle forms (text and formatting) and formulated specifications-based consultation, such as defining existing forms in adherence to legislation, testing revisions with concurrent software modifications, documenting specifications for requests for proposals (RFPs), and preparing instructions for county offices prior to the release of revised forms in collaboration with IT and legal staff.
- Managed the acquisition process, and strategically devised necessary RFPs for forms and other paper products.
- Closely supervised and monitored hardware, software, and supply inventory in Motor Vehicle offices statewide; along with the Statewide Motor Vehicle equipment inventory, from original bid to surplus.
- Orchestrated and completed monthly reports for management on equipment placement and surplus.
- Handled the execution of Document Data Processing for 1,500-square-foot warehouse.
- Earned distinction as driving force in achieving 2001 equipment update 1 month ahead of schedule.
- Developed productive relationships with IT staff through the development and implementation of electronic inventory for county offices.
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES | City, State
Program Assistant II, 2000
- Played an instrumental role in producing an award-winning video and submitted it to National Child Support Enforcement Association for the 1999 Outstanding Program Award; rendered unparalleled service in conceptualizing and completing the video within three days.
- Dealt with significant improvement of monthly disbursement on hold report to reflect pending non-compliance, as well as to assist counties in adhering to guidelines implemented by the 1998 federal audit.
STATE PATROL | City, State
Program Assistant I, 1997-2000
- Ensured timely compliance, accuracy, and completeness of reports and proper fiscal management through instigation and implementation of paper-flow procedures for district and troop offices.
- Utilized and broadened in-depth knowledge of State Personnel and Fiscal Rules as well as Titles 18 and 24 of the Colorado Revised Statutes.
- Served as primary point of contact in identifying and resolving complex problems and issues regarding district personnel, other state agencies and offices, and citizen inquiries and complaints.
SELF-EMPLOYED | LITTLETON, CO
Real Estate Broker, 2002-2007
Bachelor of Arts in Technical Communication, with Concentration in Technical Writing and Editing
Minor in Management
ABC College | Denver, CO | Expected Completion: 2012
TechComm Manager, 2011 | Instructional Design for e-Learning, 2011 | Scenario-Based Architecture, 2011
Topic-Based Authoring, 2010 | RoboHelp Advanced Features, 2009 | ISO 9001-2000 Lead Auditor Training, 2007
Society for Technical Communication (STC) | International Association of Business Communicators (IABC)
- Proactively train and handle the scheduling of altar servers for all services.
- Designed and created a template for neighborhood newsletter using Adobe InDesign.
- Developed information packet and monthly presentation for the pre-Baptism classes.