Senior Commercial Underwriter Resume Sample
Phone # / Cell Phone #
Senior Commercial Underwriter
Senior Commercial Underwriter, with 14 years of progressive experience in claims and commercial underwriting. Highly accomplished, diligent, and multifaceted, renowned for outstanding performance, for exceeding goals, and for accelerating revenue growth. Skilled at managing overall aspects of underwriting production, combined with excellent customer service skills, as well as innate ability to motivate and foster teamwork. Ability to administer and manage new and renewal premium within an assigned territory. Equipped with underwriting and pricing expertise in compliance with ISO underwriting standards and personal underwriting authority level. Expert at identifying customer needs, developing solutions, and in achieving results out of diverse challenges and conflicting service requirements. Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, complemented with interpersonal aptitude; capable of establishing long-term quality relationship with all levels of professionals.
Areas of Expertise
- Underwriting Production
- Agency Management
- New Business Development
- Claims Administration and Functions
- Risk Management
- Regulatory Compliance and Standards
- Customer Service and Relations
- Process and Productivity Improvement
- Leadership, Training, and Supervision
- Communication and Coordination
Underwriting Operations and Functions
- Maximized superior management capabilities in directing the sales, marketing, and overall new business underwriting production for seven Western states.
- Drove the attainment of corporate goals as well as the creation of profitable business through detailed analysis and evaluation of all new business submissions, for small and middle market business with a focus on commercial property.
- Demonstrated commitment in taking on new responsibilities: received assignment to manage a Northern California territory then after a year, a seven-state territory based out of Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Consistently maintained a loss ratio in the low 30s.
- Conceptualized and adopted creative ideas in developing sales strategies and techniques.
- Supported the testing of a new auto rating system and provided feedback.
- Handled the compilation and maintenance of the 2nd largest book of business in the region.
- Fulfilled the position of a customer service representative; rendered marketing assistance on numerous renewal accounts.
- Exhibited versatility and multitasking skills by performing diverse tasks, including evaluation of potential risks, negotiation of pricing with agents, and analysis of loss control.
Claims Administration and Process
- Conducted thorough analysis and review in various types of liability claims, including auto and commercial coverage.
- Gained working experience in auto liability; administered the investigation, negotiation, and reconciliation of auto claims.
- Strictly monitored and administered all insured’s aviation claims which included Property, Worker’s Compensation, and Liability claims as well as the first party claims for damaged aircraft.
- Served as a key member of the MCM Counsel; effectively liaised between employees and management.
- Broadened familiarity in investigating and settling claims related to rental trucks and equipment by working in the Claims Department of Ryder TRS.
- Handled the administration of personal injury protection (PIP) claims in Washington and Oregon.
Customer Service and Public Relations
- Developed productive business relationships with agencies while creating strategic business plans.
- Strengthened relationship with disgruntled agency partners upon the execution of new territories.
- Acted as chairperson for a committee directed toward improving the work environment.
- Contributed to various committees in order to raise funds for the American Heart Walk and United Way.
Leadership and Staff Development
- Closely supervised and monitored underwriting staff; established and cultivated long-term quality relationship with an independent agency force in order to meet and surpass profitable territory goals.
- Ensured consistent compliance with policy changes by conducting training on new processes and procedures.
- Exemplified commitment in sharing knowledge through facilitating a CPCU class; provided assistance in conducting several other company training classes.
- Applied dynamic leadership skills in teaching and mentoring numerous new underwriters.
- Served as the first package underwriter based outside California for Sequoia Insurance Co.
- Played a pivotal role underwriting and building a new golf course program with almost $5M in premium within three years.
- Recognized for notable performance and received job promotions from Claims Representative to Commercial Underwriter, to Underwriting Supervisor III, and subsequently to Underwriting Manager at Allied Insurance Co.
- Production Underwriter/Regional Underwriting Vice President, (2007–2010), Company Xyz | Las Vegas, NV
- Commercial Lines Underwriting Manager, (2001–2007), Wxy Insurance | Denver, CO
- Claims Coordinator (1999–2001), AirSure, Ltd. | Company Tuv, CO
- Claims Representative (1998–1999), Rst Insurance Company | Denver, CO
- Claims Representative (1998), Pqrs Insurance Systems | Denver, CO
- Claims Representative (1997–1998), Opq Insurance Company | San Diego, CA
Bachelor of Science in Accounting
ABC University | Boulder, CO
Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) Designation: 2005
Worker’s Compensation Law Specialist Designation — American Educational Institute: 2000
Southern Nevada Chapter of Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters (CPCU)
Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
Other Office Programs and Most Carrier Rating Systems