Sports Writer Resume Sample
Phone # / Cell Phone #
- Determined, self-starter and diligent professional, offering 26 years of experience reflecting significant skills in all aspects of media and public relations, with wide-ranging background and expertise in developing personal relationships with various local, state, regional and national media.
- Demonstrate keen expertise in leading public relations programs across diverse industries.
- Recognized as a well-respected and active community volunteer with proven positive results in participating in civic projects and fundraising events.
- Verified effectiveness to work in challenging and stressful situations while juggling multiple priorities.
- Efficient at developing rapport with NFL, MLB and NBA players, coaches, scouts and executives.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; recognized as a highly skilled public speaker.
OPQ University, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Bachelor of Science in Telecommunication and Film
- Minor in American History
Company OPQ, Tuscaloosa, AL
Sports Correspondent | Aug 2010-Present
- Function effectively in covering high school athletics; write and report sports-related articles for the Company OPQ.
- Passionate about the local community and high sports; developed great rapport with prep coaches and players.
- Successfully met all deadlines set by the newspaper.
OPQ University, Tuscaloosa, AL
Assistant Media Relations Director | Jun 1989-Aug 2010
- Served as the primary media contract for the Crimson Tide’s nationally ranked baseball team in 1987 to 1990 and 1995 to 2010 under Dr. Barry Shollenberger in 1987 to 1990, Jim Wells in 1995 to 2009 and Mitch Gaspard in 2010.
- Effectively worked as the No. 2 contact for the Crimson Tide’s Football Team in 1989 to 2008 under Bill Curry (1989), Gene Stallings (1990-1996), Mike DuBose (1997-2000), Dennis Franchione (2001-2002), Mike Shula (2003-2006) and Nick Saban (2007).
- Played an integral role as the key contact for the Alabama Men’s Basketball Team under Head Coach Wimp Sanderson in 1991 to 1992 and David Hobbs in 1993 and 1994.
- Efficiently liaised between the Athletics Department and the local, state, regional and national media.
- Demonstrated exceptional internet skills in writing and posting stories, data and photos for daily website.
- Exhibited knowledge in the social media world with Facebook (www.facebook/barryallen) and Twitter (@bkabama).
- Interacted with men’s and women’s track and field, women’s basketball and women’s gymnastics.
Company RST, Hoover, AL
Official Scorer/Computer Stats Operator | Jun 1989-Present
- Work as seasonal employee for Birmingham Barons, a Class AA affiliate of the Chicago White Sox.
- Perform duties of a press box assistant, which include writing postgame press releases and documenting game notes and out of town scores.
- Serve as the official score keeper and official statistician for MILB.com and public address announcer.
- Render support to Curt Bloom, the Director of Broadcasting of the Barons Radio Network; assume responsibility for calling games for the team.
- Develop and establish strong ties among various front office personnel of Birmingham Barons and various MLB teams.
- Professionally establish good rapport with MLB scouts who attend games on a daily basis.
ABC | CBS | CSS | ESPN | Fox Sports Net
Freelance Statistician | Aug 1984-Present
- Play an integral role as the chief statistician providing play-by-play details, critical information and color analysis to the announcers during each game.
- Provide assistance in building graphics by giving statistical data before and during the games; tell story using numbers and graphics.
- Work in various local and national sports networks that include ABC Sports, CBS Sports, EPSN, FOX Sports Net, Jefferson-Pilot, NBC Sports, Raycom Sports and USA Network.
- Effectively render service in various events, such as NCAA and SEC men’s basketball tournaments along with NCAA and SEC women’s basketball tournaments, NCAA College Baseball Super Regional and Regionals, SEC Baseball Tournament as well as college football, gymnastics, track and field and volleyball events.
Anniston Star, Bama Magazine, Birmingham News, Birmingham Post-Herald, Gadsden Times, Huntsville Times and Mobile Register
Freelance Writer | 1984-Present
- Function effectively in working as a freelance writer for various newspapers and publications, which include Bama Magazine, The Anniston Star, The Birmingham News, The Birmingham Post-Herald, Gadsden Times, Huntsville Times, Mobile Register and The Tuscaloosa News.
Company UVW, Anniston, AL
Data Processing | 1982-1984
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Awarded the prestigious Wilbur Snypp Award in 2007, which is annually presented by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association for delivering outstanding service, dedication and contribution to college baseball.
Staff, XYZ High School Athletic Association Media Relations Team (2010 Super 6 Championships)
Member, College of Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA)
Member | Board of Directors, National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA)
- Selection Committee for preseason and postseason of NCBWA All-American Teams.
- Selection Committee for the Dick Howser Trophy and NCBWA Player of the Year as sponsored by the St. Petersburg Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Selection Committee for Brooks Wallace Award, Pitcher of the Year Award and Stopper of the Year Award and Coach of the Year.
- NCBWA President (Academic Year: 2000-2001).
Member, Football Writers Association of America (FWAA)
Member, Alabama Sportswriters Association (ASWA)
Hall of Fame Selection Committee, National College Baseball Foundation and Hall of Fame
Voter, Annual College Baseball Hall of Fame Class
Volunteer, Sprayberry Education Center PTO
Volunteer, Alabama Baseball Grand Slammers (Booster Club for UA Baseball)
Fundraiser, Tuscaloosa County local charities (Sprayberry Education Center, American Cancer Society, UCP of West
Alabama, United Way of West Alabama, Taylorville Primary School, Englewood Elementary School and Taylorville
Dixie Youth Baseball): Successfully generated more than 200K
Co-Chairman, “Tailgating with the Stars” Annual Event
Team Captain (Alabama Baseball Grand Slammers), American Cancer Society “Relay for Life”