Transportation Planning Professional Resume Sample
Phone # / Cell Phone #
Highly analytical, self-motivated, and results-driven planning professional with extensive knowledge and experience on grant management, Federal Transit Administration (FTA) compliance procedures, Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) process, transportation policies, and census data. Adept at creating new projects, exceeding past accomplishments, and handling multiple projects efficiently. Demonstrate excellent leadership and writing skills; accustomed to developing innovative solutions and excellent reports, backed with thorough understanding of transportation and land use principles, with a keen interest in pedestrian and transit-oriented development.
Key areas of knowledge and skills include:
- Research, Organization, and Analysis
- Strategic Solutions
- Writing and Presentation
- Microsoft Software: Access, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, Project, Publisher, Word
- Other Software/Programs: Arc GIS, Macromedia Contribute, FTA TEAM System
- Fluent in English and Spanish: Translated brochures, questionnaires, PowerPoint presentations, surveys, flyers and web pages from English to Spanish for employers
Planner II | Aug 2007 – Present
Mno Company, Mineola, NY
- Handle the preparation and submission of grant applications as well as the management of the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) grant program for the county, including the 2010 FTA triennial review and the Title VI 2010 program update.
- Supervise the day-to-day operations and reporting of the FTA funded projects, and ensure compliance of the county’s FTA sub-recipients with federal requirements.
- Represent the county at various New York Metropolitan Transportation Council (NYMTC) working groups, such as Coordinated Public Transit/Human Service Transportation Plan (CPTHST) and Regional Transportation Plan (RTP); serve as liaison for the county executive on the NYMTC principal’s initiatives.
- Research demographic information to support planning studies or initiatives in the county.
- Monitor census data release and updates on transportation legislation and grant opportunities at the federal level; convert data released to tables/maps; and distribute to department staff and senior management.
- Manage special projects as needed and update the department’s website on an ongoing basis.
- Set a new regional record of zero findings in the county’s 2010 FTA triennial review, exceeding the 2007 personal achievement of also reducing the county’s findings to an all-time low.
- Achieved a successful census population challenge in 2008 that increased the county’s population by 55,000 and produced a more accurate population count, ensuring better chances for the county to avail federal funding programs.
- Analyzed population growth, trends in transportation use and modal split, employment, and housing as well as prepared portions of planning documents such as Nassau County’s 2008 draft master plan update’s demographics section.
- Developed the grant application for the 2008 NYMTC region-wide solicitation of the Job Access and Reverse Commute (JARC) program and New Freedom federal grant programs, giving Nassau County a better advantage with the restructured application featuring “suburban projects” instead of being limited to traditional transit projects.
Planner I | Sep 2005-Jul 2007
Mno Company, Mineola, NY
- Organized and managed the county’s 2007 FTA triennial review involving various internal planning divisions, external departments, and agencies.
- Prepared reports such as county’s 2007 Title VI program report and Title VI – Limited English Proficiency (LEP) assessment in compliance with FTA requirements.
- Conducted community studies and transportation inventories in downtown areas of Nassau County that had been designated for revitalization by the county.
- Evaluated contract proposals issued by the department, such as traffic counting, pedestrian safety, and roadway congestion studies while serving on numerous committees for transportation planning studies.
- Researched and analyzed data; produced maps; and created Power Point presentations to support special projects.
- Successfully reduced the number of findings during a FTA triennial review as compared to previous incidents where number of findings had always been in double digits, putting the county at risk of losing their FTA funding.
- Obtained immediate approval on the prepared report of the county’s limited English proficient population analysis despite insufficient references, which resulted to attainment of FTA’s referral of other grantees that need assistance in developing their own LEP analysis.
- Cut down cost of the county in funding studies done by private consultants by expanding the role of the transportation and demographic data included in the community studies.
Program Coordinator | Oct 2002-Sep 2005
Pqr Company, Bronx, NY
- Developed and managed a model FTA JARC Program and a career resource library for the community.
- Secured additional program funding by researching funding opportunities and writing grant proposals; reported accomplishments to various funding sources on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Organized various events for community outreach, including a job fair for entry level health care positions; established partnerships and networks with community organizations.
- Developed a curriculum to teach clients how to use the transit system and access transportation information.
- Developed the JARC program which became a model program for its sustainability beyond federal funding, having assisted more than 1,000 individuals with their job search within its first year and with less cost by partnering with multiple agency resources.
- Developed a much needed career resource library for a community with high unemployment rates, which complemented services offered by the company like ESL classes, computer literacy classes, and the JARC Program.
Certificate of Completion for the New York Metropolitan Transportation Council Executive Development Program (2009)
RST University ~ New York, NY
Master of City and Regional Planning (2002)
UVW University ~ New Brunswick, NJ
Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Design (2000)
XYZ University ~ Buffalo, NY
Transportation and Land Use (2007)
Disadvantage Business Enterprise (2009)
National Transit Institute ~ New York, NY
Designing for Pedestrian Safety (2007)
U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration ~ New York, NY
Civil Rights Colloquium (2009)
New Grantee Triennial Review Workshop (2009)
Triennial Review Workshop (2010)
U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Transit Administration ~ New York, NY
Women’s Transportation Seminar, Greater New York Chapter
- Young Professional’s Committee, Chair of Transportation Trivia Event
- Membership Committee